Tuesday 21 April 2009

Slippery character...

I've been a bit busy lately, so apologies for the lack of dress action! I am wearing a dress today, so a photo will follow later.

But in the meantime, I thought I'd talk about the wonder that is the humble slip. Yes, the sort of thing you might imagine someone's granny wearing. Before I bought mine (M&S, black, and reversible so that you can either have a plain V front or a lacy front) I had all sorts of problems wearing dresses with tights - if the dress wasn't lined (or sometimes even if it was) it would stick to my tights and ride up and generally look unattractive. But wearing the slip underneath stops all of that, and it gives an extra layer which is useful in winter and for wearing short-sleeved dresses in spring when the weather's not quite as warm as you think it ought to be. It's also an instant solution for low-cut dresses. In fact, it was the fact that I now have a slip that inspired me to wear the dress I have on today, which is a brown polkadot tea dress in that sort of jersey fabric that has a tendency to cling. Clinging is not good in my book (it shows up the lumps and bumps) but chucking a slip on underneath means that the dress keeps its shape and doesn't grab onto my tights and cling to my hips and stomach. I also don't have to keep pulling my dress down as I'm walking along, which was another problem with this particular dress.

So there you have it - everyone should go out and buy a slip!

4 comments:

  1. I have a skirt slip, but I am thinking about getting a dress slip too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There you go, your Granny did know best.. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed - Granny did know best!

    Claire - I'd definitely advise you to get a dress slip. Mine has revolutionised my wardrobe! I had a white skirt slip before but it was annoying - it would twist round and it was too long, really, and being white it'd stick out like a sore thumb if it happened to peek out underneath a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bought a slip at the weekend - the one you mention - brilliant!! My dress looks fab and you can't see the outline of my tights!

    ReplyDelete